Pat has another great post on his blog about a trend in Australia where sports sponsors are seeing a decline in brand awareness – even though they continue to do the same things. What's the definition of insanity?
Tha gealtachd a ’dèanamh an aon rud agus a’ dùileachadh diofar thoraidhean.
Gealtachd Margaidheachd is Sanasachd
Wherever we find an Advertising Agency or a Marketing Firm, we find this don't we? People tend to admire their own work, ignore the data, and continue to work within their comfort zone:
- Bidh buidhnean-gnìomha a tha math air Flash a ’togail làraich bhrèagha, eadar-ghnìomhach a bhuannaicheas duaisean ach chan urrainn dha duine an lorg oir tha iad a’ seachnadh SEO.
- Mass marketers ignore the simplicity of targeting your content on the Internet and then wonder why their content isn't sticking.
- Bidh connoisseurs bhidio a ’togail làraich leud-bann trom gun susbaint teacsa taiceil don leughadair casual.
- Brand marketers continue to apply spin to every chunk of content on their corporate website, ignoring their prospects' riatanas airson conaltradh pearsanta, follaiseachd agus onair.
- Luchd-margaidh a bhios a ’cur às do na meadhanan mòra airson air-loidhne oir tha e a’ nochdadh nas saoire. Mas e inneal geriatrach a th ’anns an toradh agad, is dòcha gum bi barrachd toradh air tasgadh margaidheachd air na duilleagan buidhe no sanas clàraichte ann an iris cuimsichte.
Is dòcha gur e am Meadhanach as Fheàrr am Meadhanach Eu-coltach
Every marketer or agency excels in specific mediums, but it's rare that an agency or marketer doesn't ignore or dismiss mediums that could be helpful. Television, radio, newspaper, direct mail, telemarketing, yellow pages, classifieds, sponsorships, charity, contests, scholarships, memberships, blogging, online video, pay-per-click advertising, email marketing, social networks, search engine optimization – all of these are mediums that do ruig daoine. Ach, tha adhbharan ann airson gum faodadh gach aon dhiubh sin cuideachadh no eadhon bacadh a chuir air na h-oidhirpean margaidheachd agad.
Tha luchd-cleachdaidh agus gnìomhachasan a ’coimhead air do shon
Key to selecting your marketing mix is testing those mediums, comparing other (similar) advertisers' results, reading white papers, following best practices, and finding the most effective mix to gain the appropriate return on investment. Marketers are complaining that tha farsaingeachd aire luchd-cleachdaidh a ’crìonadh ach tha mi gu tur ag aontachadh. Tha luchd-cleachdaidh a ’feuchainn ri lorg thu when you have the right product or service, be it business to consumer, or business to business. It's your job to place the right information in front of them at the right time and place.
Atharrachadh measgachadh margaidheachd le ùine
There is a third dimension to marketing and that's time! We tend to look at marketing as a pie chart, calculating each piece of the pie and what percent of the marketing resources will be appropriate. But marketing doesn't work like this. When you first launch a social network, your media mix may be heavily pay-per-click advertising and perhaps sponsoring contests to build initial readership. However, once you have enough members to sustain growth, your resources may be better spent in search engine optimization since that will leverage your users' content to build additional growth.
Stop the insanity and push yourself to go against your better judgment! You've got an arsenal at your disposal, there is no silver bullet.